Saturday, October 3, 2009

From the Library 10/3

From the Library is my (formerly Friday, now) Saturday listing of what I checked out from the library this week.  It was a small haul but after last week, that is good since I have a lot to read.



Wild Orchid: A Retelling of "The Battle of Mulan" - Cameron Dokey (When I went looking for fractured fairy tales as part of my fairy tale kick, I discovered Cameron Dokey who writes a lot of those.  I had no idea that Mulan was an actual fairy tale so I'm excited to read this one.)


Wielding a sword as deftly as an embroidery needle, Mulan is unlike any other girl in China. When the emperor summons a great army, each family must send a male to fight. Tomboyish Mulan is determined to spare her aging father and bring her family honor, so she disguises herself and answers the call.
But Mulan never expects to find a friend, let alone a soul mate, in the commander of her division, Prince Jian. For all of Mulan's courage with a bow and arrow, is she brave enough to share her true identity and feelings with Prince Jian?

Story Time - Edward Bloor (Recently I read a negative review of Story Time so I feel like going back and re-reading it just to check.  I liked it but it's been a long time since I read it.)
When eighth grader Kate and her Uncle George (who is two years younger than her) receive letters inviting them to attend the Whittaker Magnet School, home of nasty protein shakes and the freakish "Test-Based Curriculum," their reactions are mixed. George, somewhat of a genius, is pleased, while Kate is horrified. Still, as a search on-line reveals, their house is suddenly in the Whittaker school district, so off they go. It's not long, before they discover something very strange is afoot at their new school. For one thing, the Whittaker-Austin family has rather alarming delusions of grandeur. For another, it seems a number of people have died at the school under mysterious circumstances. Then there's the librarian called Pogo, who speaks only in Mother Goose rhymes. With the President of the United States on his way for a tour of the school, the Whittaker-Austins want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible--meaning no dead bodies in the soft drink cooler, no shenanigans from the mushroom-pale zombie students, and definitely no unscheduled visits from the resident demon.

Blue Moon - Alyson Noel (sequel to Evermore)

Eager to learn everything she can about her new abilities as an Immortal, Ever turns to her beloved Damen to show her the way. But just as her powers are increasing, Damen’s are waning.  In an attempt to save him, Ever travels to the magical dimension of Summerland, where she learns the secrets of Damen’s tortured past; a past which he has always kept hidden from her. But in her quest to cure Damen, Ever discovers an ancient text that details the workings of time. Now Ever must chose between turning back the past and saving her family from the accident that claimed their lives—or staying in the present and saving Damen, who grows sicker every day...

3 comments:

  1. I have to finish the book I'm reading and one more book off my shelves before I can read Blue Moon, but I ordered it from the library anyway so I don't have to wait in line for it when its' time to read a library book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My library hauls are always soooo huge! I'm working on cutting them back til I get more read! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea,

    I'm replying to your question about the Alice in wonderland challenge. I accidentally responded to someone else and didn't realize I had the wrong person!!

    Yes, that other "Alice" movie will work!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so awesome. Thanks for taking the time. I do reserve the right to remove any comments that are offensive and/or spam.